Opening Statement


Thomas Jefferson's personal library was arranged into three categories: MEMORY for books on History; REASON for Philosophy and IMAGINATION for Fine Arts.

Here you will find a similar grouping of posts: Life, Religion, Politics, Art and Family.

I figured a Blog was the best way to vent and share my eclectic ramblings. If you have something to add or share yourself, please feel free to do so. Different perspectives and observations, kindly expressed, are warmly welcomed.


Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Capital High School


High School was a fabulous time of life for me. I learned a lot but it was rarely from the classroom settings so prescribed and rigid. It was in the relationships I had (both good and bad) with friends mainly and one exceptional teacher.

Jerry Vevig, the Choral Director for many years at Capital High School in Boise, Idaho was my Mr. Holland.

Nearly every positive, emotional connection I feel for my High School days can be directly tied to the hours upon hours I spent in the choral room at Capital. And there were many. I sang in two different choral groups my Junior and Senior years of school and would frequently find myself there during other times as well.

It was like a magnet for me. A place where I felt comfortable, accepted and appreciated. Jerry (I'm older now so I feel comfortable calling him by his first name) was a fine man of high moral character. A great family man who loved his wife and children. He worked hard and had passion for music and in an equal dose, life itself. He was warm and funny. When the music was just right, he smiled broadly and was exuberant in his excitement, praise and thanks to the performers. When it wasn't just right, he forced us to find within ourselves the personal desire to make it as perfect as we could.

As a result of his influence, I went away to college with plans of becoming a High School choir teacher. I wanted to be just like Jerry and have impact on the lives of others...to help them find and be their individual best.

For a variety of reasons, that's not the way things turned out and I've been fortunate to have found other paths where I hope I've been able to help others, particularly young men and women, negotiate life's twists and turns. There's no question, Jerry, inspired me to have that desire and he showed me by example that an adult can impact a young person's life in ways that may not be immediately recognizable to either of them at the time. But, looking back 35 years later, are crystal clear.

So I tip my hat to Jerry Vevig and to all the quality teachers in our communities. You are truly underpaid and under appreciated in my book.

Jerry's still around. I think I owe him a phone call.

No comments: