Opening Statement


Thomas Jefferson's personal library was arranged into three categories: MEMORY for books on History; REASON for Philosophy and IMAGINATION for Fine Arts.

Here you will find a similar grouping of posts: Life, Religion, Politics, Art and Family.

I figured a Blog was the best way to vent and share my eclectic ramblings. If you have something to add or share yourself, please feel free to do so. Different perspectives and observations, kindly expressed, are warmly welcomed.


Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Connecting with Art

Halo Repair by Brian Kershisnik
Used with permission

I'm told if you strike a tuning fork and hold it near another object - like a fine crystal goblet - which happens to vibrate at the same pitch that the vibrations emanating from the tuning fork will eventually cause the goblet to begin vibrating and humming as well. I don't know if it's true. I've never tried. But it sounds true enough.

I believe that's what happens periodically when I look at a certain piece of art which, as the saying goes, "just speaks to me." It doesn't happen a lot, but periodically I see a painting that just rings my bell and I can't shake it for some time. If it's available for purchase and I can afford it, I'll often buy it.

All art generates a wave of emotional energy of some sort for the viewer to absorb. When that energy matches our own, we appreciate the offering. The syncopatic nature of the attraction can rise and fall in varying degrees of enjoyment or disdain. Sometimes art can be pleasant but not necessarily really hit a strong inner-connective chord. If we really don't like a selection we might even make a disparaging comment. But the very next viewer may experience a significant, positive reaction.

It really doesn't matter if it's a painting, drawing, sculpture, dance or music. It doesn't matter if it's classical, traditional, modern, abstract, Cajun or pop. It doesn't matter if it's done in oils, pencil, clay or composed of metallic objects found in the street. Regardless of style, type or medium, art creations generate an energy that resonates with individuals who are tuned to the same inner frequency and since we all operate at a different frequency, each piece of art has it's own audience. It may be a small audience; maybe just a mother. But, out there somewhere, it resonates the soul of someone.

So I never worry about wanting everyone to appreciate the same things I enjoy and I don't wonder what's wrong with me if it seems the entire world is going ga-ga over Lady Gaga. When it comes to art, to each his own.

No comments: