Opening Statement


Thomas Jefferson's personal library was arranged into three categories: MEMORY for books on History; REASON for Philosophy and IMAGINATION for Fine Arts.

Here you will find a similar grouping of posts: Life, Religion, Politics, Art and Family.

I figured a Blog was the best way to vent and share my eclectic ramblings. If you have something to add or share yourself, please feel free to do so. Different perspectives and observations, kindly expressed, are warmly welcomed.


Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Grandness of Marriage

Son Matthew and Liz

I attended a wedding today where two friends exchanged sacred vows with one another and I was again reminded of the grandness of marriage and how fortunate we are as individuals to meet and marry someone we love.

Next Saturday, my youngest daughter, Mallory, will be the final child to get married. I am thrilled. Not at the prospect of “losing a daughter,” but at the sheer joy of seeing a child progress and press forward with life.

Each of my children married fabulous companions who compliment and strengthen their own individual natures. Liz is a great mother to our grandson, Topher, and gives our Matthew just enough rope to feel and flex his marvelous individual nature but not quite enough to hang himself. She’s fun to be with, laughs heartily and is a bright spot in any room. Dave is a fabulous husband for daughter, Carly. His patient and kind nature is a perfect fit for Carly’s energy and “get it done” persona. Most of all he adores Carly and makes her feel loved and appreciated.

Mallory is marrying Paul. They’ve been friends since High School, hung out quite a bit, always as pals and buddies. It wasn’t until college life that they looked at each other and kind of said, “hey, maybe we should try a dating environment and see where that leads.” Well they discovered a future path to be traveled together and fell in love. Paul, too, is a great compliment to Mallory. Aside from the fact that he, too, loves baseball as much if not more than I do, he’s also a caring and considerate man who, simply, gets things done. I have no worries about Paul’s ability and determination to make certain that Mallory and any future family will be adequately provided for and protected.

Thank you Paul, Dave and Liz. We’re blessed to have you in our family.

As I say in my “About Me” comments on any site I’m a part of, “I am the husband of my best friend.” I couldn’t do it without Cindy by my side. It’s a companionship that’s endured 32 years. (Wow, doesn’t seem that long.) When I look at my children, I fully understand the eternal role and impact of motherhood. Cindy is an amazing mom.

I’m a much better observer than I am at being introspective so, I’ll leave it to others to comment on how Cindy and I match up. I do know this, however, I can’t imagine a life of happiness and fulfillment without her.

So, here’s to marriage! Mine, my children’s and yours…make it work, press forward and enjoy.

1 comment:

Laura Z said...

I have always been grateful for the example you and Cindy have set as spouses and parents. Our lives have been blessed by knowing all of you!